Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Disconnected

google.com images search/computers

I thought the documentary of Disconnected was very informational. One of the more interesting documentaries I have watched in awhile. A couple of the experiences that stood out to me was that some teachers and other people didn't like the fact that they were going without computers for that long. They seemed to be pretty annoyed or frustrated with the whole situation. I did not think the one boy was cheating when he went to do homework that he otherwise would have had to do at the end of the semester. He really needed to get it done, but that just goes to show how much people actually rely on computers to do things they need. A couple of the students surprised me by doing more homework and getting more done. It also surprised me that some of the students when logging back on didn't find the computer as fun as they did before. I almost would like to try it too to see if I could do it for a couple of days. I think the technology has changed in a way that most people not only use computers now, but also their phones to do a lot of the work for them. It would be harder now to do this experiment with kids because I think with the way technology has evolved it would be too hard not to just grab your phone or computer and start to use it without even thinking about it. I also don't think a student could get through the semester without failing considering that teachers put just about everything on the internet now to inform you of upcoming assignments and due dates. I believe that it would be easier for me to give up my computer, not during school, because I never had a computer in my home growing up and I never got one until I started here. I was always on my phone in high school, so I feel that would be much harder to give up than a computer. During the semester I believe that my GPA would definitely drop by the end because I wouldn't get the information and readings there are online that most kids would have to look at. I do not think I would do very good without my computer during the semester, however, I do think this would be a good experiment to try outside of school during summer to try to see if I could go without my phone and computer for a week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment